Adware is malware that was created to constantly bombard you with advertisement, redirect your browsing searches to ads, and consistently collecting marketing-type data from your browsing history. This information is shared with third-parties to specify and target personalized advertisements to each user directly.
Traits of Adware:
- Endless pop-ups – many can often be traps to actually infect you with adware by making you think you have it in the first place.
- Slowing down your computer.
- Using spyware to track your activity, both on and off-line.
- Using trusted applications to display advertisements – this will make you feel like you are being served trusted sources, but really your information is being sent to third parties.
- Eating up data.
Common Examples of Adware:
- SpyTrooper – is particularly sticky. It will display your desktop wallpaper as a warning message and has no uninstall features.
- Deskad – starting off slow, it will sneakily infect your and constantly redirect you to malicious websites.
How to Avoid an Aware Infection:
- Do run a routine FixMeStick scan.
- Do clear your web browser often.
- Do pay attention to what you are downloading onto your computer.
- Do use a pop-up blocker.
- Do run your antivirus software while working on your device.
- Don’t click on pop-ups.
- Don’t open email attachments from unknown senders or strange emails.
- Don’t visit suspicious websites.
Want to learn more about the different types of computer viruses? Check out other blogs in our Virus Lab series below!