Have you ever asked yourself “Why is my tablet so slow?” Having a device that’s as slow as a snail’s pace can really be a drag. Simple tasks such as switching between apps or swiping through photos become frustrating and much less enjoyable.
Why is my tablet running slowly?
It’s true that malware can get onto your tablet and slow it down, but this isn’t the only thing that can cause a lag.
We use our tablets for so many things – from quickly checking email to taking photos, scrolling through Facebook, and playing games. Each of these requires a bit of memory from your tablet. After a while your memory that normally keeps your device running fast it tied up in apps and services. This tied up memory can cause your tablet to run very slow.
We get asked all the time if we have a FixMeStick for tablets. Unfortunately, we don’t which is why we wanted to give you some useful tips for cleaning your tablet so it runs like new again.
6 easy ways you can speed up your tablet:
1. Remove unnecessary and unused apps to free up space
- Check the list of installed apps – if you’re not using some of these regularly, or you simply have too many, consider which apps you don’t need or use and uninstall them
- Double check which apps take up the most space.
- If you’re on an Android tablet follow these steps to see a list of everything installed on your device and the space each one takes up: Settings > Apps.
- If you have an iPad launch the Settings app then follow these steps select General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage
- Consider moving your apps to an external memory card before uninstalling them so it backs everything up but you still improve your tablets speed. Check out this external storage device that can back up your iPad or Android device.
2. Install the latest software and app updates
Cybercriminals use weaknesses in software and apps to attack your devices and steal your personal information. Software and app updates are essential because they’re designed to fix these weaknesses. Install them immediately to keep your devices safe and secure from pesky viruses that could slow you down.
Updates often make you restart your device which also helps speed things up because it clears cached data, closes background apps, and frees up your tablet’s processor and RAM resources.
3. Use an antivirus on your tablet
Many people don’t realize that malware and viruses pose a problem for your tablet too. Whether you have an Android device or an iPad, malicious programs could not only be slowing your tablet down, but they could be stealing from you as well. McAfee Total Protection is compatible across PCs, Macs, tablets, and smartphones which make it a great antivirus to have.
Because you’re a FixMeStick customer we have an exclusive discount just for you so you can protect on up to 5 devices. With McAfee, you can manage protection for all your devices from an easy-to-use web page. McAfee helps safeguard your identity and makes sure your private life stays that way.
4.Don’t jailbreak or use unofficial apps
If an app isn’t verified, do not download it. It could be fake or filled with malware that will become active when you install it. Make sure your settings are set to only download apps from verified publishers, and heed any warnings your tablet gives you about fishy apps before you download.
Here’s an article with pointers on which apps are safe to install.
5. Keep Your Screen Clean
Your screen gathers dust and fingerprints causing the touch screen to become less responsive to your commands, which can be incredibly frustrating.
6. Format your external storage on a regular basis
Formatting the external storage on your tablet is akin to running a disk cleanup on your PC. Format your tablet’s SD card at least once every three months to keep the system running at peak performance. Don’t know how to format external storage? Here’s a helpful article to guide you.