Thanksgiving has come and gone which means you’re probably looking for what to offer this Christmas. While you’re coming up with your Amazon wish list take precautions to make your online shopping secure.
The first rule of cyber retail is to ensure the sites you frequent are secure. Use an antivirus for 24/7 protection, spam blockage, and encryption. Get an exclusive McAfee offer here to safeguard your information on all devices!
Here’s a few things to keep in mind:
- Frequent only reputable sites. Download the new Firefox Quantum browser or the new version of Chrome to help you know so you can tell which sites are malicious.
- Look out for phishing emails, don’t download anything that’s forwarded to you by an unknown sender.
- Be wary of prices that seem too good to be true, especially if you have to create online accounts to get them.
- Remember to extend your security applications to beyond your computer– when purchasing presents on your tablet or smartphone remember that these can be compromised too.
- Create secure passwords on all of your accounts and make sure you don’t recycle the same ones too often.
- Pay with a credit card— most major credit agencies offer $0 liability to investigate fraud.
- Use a VPN so no one can snoop on your personal browsing or buying. VPNs provide a secure network connection whether you’re purchasing from your couch or on public wifi. At FixMeStick we use Hotspot Shield, NordVPN, or ExpressVPN to keep our Internet browsing private!
When you online shop you’re giving away secure information that can haunt you past the holiday season if you give it to the wrong people. Don’t let this nightmare befall you this Christmas, be smart and secure this holiday season.