Everyday new apps are popping up for your mobile device, but not all of them are legitimate. Sources like Google Play and Apple’s App Store, are bombarded with illegitimate applications, despite their trying to combat the situation. Learn how to identify a fake app, how to remove one and how to stay safe!
The first way to avoid getting a fake app is knowing how to identify them:
- Check for typos and bad grammar – malicious apps may try to mimic a legitimate app but there will likely be a single letter wrong. If something doesn’t seem right it probably isn’t.
- Look at download stats – if you’re trying to download a popular app but for some reason it has very low downloads, it likely isn’t the real deal.
- Read the reviews – like anything you buy, be sure to read the reviews, this will provide the info you need to make an informed decision.
Uh oh, what if you accidentally downloaded a fake app?
- Delete it immediately or as soon as you notice something isn’t right
- Check the app’s permissions – they could still be accessing your data
- Clear the app’s cache and data
- If issues persist you can take it into your provider and have them run a diagnostic test or last case scenario factory reset it
It’s a good idea to have an antivirus on your phone too. McAfee Total Protection works on 5 devices and is compatible with laptops, desktops, tablets and phones.